Distal Radius Fractures
- Most often present with wrist pain and deformity immediately after a fall
- Patient’s ability to move the wrist does not rule out a fracture
- All patients with wrist pain after a fall should have AP, lateral, and oblique radiographs of the wrist.
- Nondisplaced or minimally displaced fracture: splint for 5 to 7 days until swelling subsides and then casted in a short-arm cast.
- Extraarticular, angulated fracture: Closed reduction with block
- Comminuted or displaced intraarticular fractures: Orthopedic surgery referral